Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Monday, April 17, 2006

When the going gets tough ...

The Germans go to Mallorca.

I have spent more time on planes in the last five weeks than I would have imagined. But this was a planned trip with the Partnerin so that she could see a little sunshine and warmth on the tail of the Easter break. So we are off to Mallorca.

Sounds exotic to my American friends and family. In fact, before I moved to Europe, Mallorca was little more than a lyric in the Ringo Starr "No No" song ("No, No, No, No, I don't take it no more, I'm tired of waking up on the floor"). Ask an American where to find Mallorca, and you might hear "My Orca, I don't have an Orca, but you can see one at Seaworld." Actually, you won't get much more than a dumb stare.

But it is beloved to Germans and Brits alike. In fact, half of the fun is getting to pool-side early so you can watch them fight over the lounge chairs. Germans like to reserve their chairs by hanging towels over them and then disappear to heaven-knows-where ... the Brits seem to believe possession is nine-tenths of the law, and often toss the towels aside. As John Lennon said, and Germans tend to believe, possession is nine-tenths of the problem. Great fun to watch, but I'm with the Brits on the possession bit.

Mallorca is one of the two places where I probably cannot do much blogging (I have gone from Frankfurt to New York to Singapore via Frankfurt to Seattle via Frankfurt to the middle-US to Frankfurt to London via Frankfurt to Northern Germany and back to Frankfurt in the past five weeks, and the only place I have not had total access in all of that was in Northern Germany), but I will see what I can do ... especially since I have a few good easter stories to blab on about.

'Til then, Hasta la vista, Tierra del fuego, or whatever!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well, belated Easter Greetings and have fun on the beach.

5:38 AM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

What, northern Germany?? I live here and most of the time it is not a problem.

Mallocra is the one place on earth I have no desire to visit. It makes me think of Daytona Beach during spring break. Something I also never did. The German keeps bringing it up and I keep using my veto rights.

12:45 PM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger christina said...

Hope you guys have a great time!
I know it's a great location, but Mallorca is also on the bottom of my list of places to visit - too many Germans. ;-)

4:48 PM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger Haddock said...

Enjoy Mallorca and the sun. Steal a few German towels and pretend you are English! :)

12:51 PM, April 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better yet, switch the towels around and watch the chaos.

Alles muss in Ordnung sein!

When trying to describe Mallorca to Americans I always find myself switching between Palm Springs and Hawaii for comparison. It's not quite right, but still it's such a classic vacation spot my fiance wouldn't take me there if I begged.

Maybe Tiajuana? Hmm...

8:00 PM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger Mike B said...

Thanks for the suggestions for fun. Not enough tourists around this time around to make it worth the effort, but I will keep it in mind for the next visit.

1:03 PM, April 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home