Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Lot was at Steak

Or a tale of two steakhouses (not intended to constitute an endorsement or recommendation, merely a statement of observations and experiences, so don't sue me!).

The first is a national (Germany) chain with a location in the West end of Frankfurt. This is not a Morton's®-class steakhouse, but you can get a decent meal for two with non-alcoholic drinks for under € 50.

They have what looks a salad bar, but I've never tried to go there myself ‡ ... the wait-person (usually a waitress) will bring you a freshly made salad with a dressing of your choice (why is it, BTW, that what is called American dressing here is called French dressing in America?). Another nice touch comes when you order a baked potato, which will come with sour cream (or is it quark? dunno, tastes like sour cream), and a little moment later you will receive a small serving dish with more sour cream without asking for it. How often does that happen in Germany? The steaks are decent, as are most of the other choices on the menu.

Two more surprises: They have a non-smoking section, and they are kid friendly (they have child seats and they bring your young ones coloring pencils and coloring pages). Nice touches. By the way, they even have an outlet in Palma de Mallorca, if you are homesick for a German steakhouse there, not that would be likely since Mallorca has many good Spanish steakhouses.


The second is also in the West End of Frankfurt. It is also not a Morton's®, but earlier in the decade they did call themselves Mortons (not affiliated with Morton's®) and then disclaimed it on the Menu by saying they were not affiliated with Morton's of Chicago®. I guess you can't be too clever in a city full of international lawyers, because they dropped the Morton's® name.

Notwithstanding that, they have excellent steaks and other fare. The quality is up there in the Mortons®-class of steakhouses, as is the price. Two of you will probably not get out of there for less than € 100, because you will most likely order drinks, appetizers, desert, etc. It's just that kind of place. Good for Business dinners, especially if you still have an expense account.

People do smoke there, and in fact you can have a nice Cuban cigar there if you like. I've never seen a child there.

An interesting touch is the Parade of Beef. They will bring their selection of cuts to the table for you to see and choose. This used to drive my old American boss crazy when we ate here because he knew precisely what he wanted and simply wanted to order ... he usually asked me to decline the presentation, but I would demur and tell him the theatre wasn't only for us and to let the people do their job. Don't know if they have outlets in Mallorca. Doubt it.

‡ (5.Apr 2006) I've been told you can visit the salad bar, but I've never seen anyone but the wait-staff doing it. I will need to do further research when I am back. Yum!

"Morton's" and "Morton's of Chicago" are registered trademarks of Morton's of Chicago, Inc. The author is in no way affiliated with any of the establishments mentioned in this article and has no financial interest in any at the time of publication. Always read the tiny print.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

“They have a salad bar, but you don't get to go there ... the wait-person (usually a waitress) will bring you a freshly made salad with a dressing of your choice”

Then it ain’t a salad bar in my book! (No offense to you. I know what you mean, but I also know how Germans skew the true meanings of several English terms.)

Also…how about the free refills of coke coffee or tea?

LOL Hey, I enjoy your blog. Great content and really much more informative than my own.

2:35 PM, April 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to try those out. I've seen the first one just walking around, but I couldn't make out where the second one was. I've also been meaning to try that place Surf n Turf.

I doubt they would be as good as Buffalo (near Fressgasse) though.

5:13 PM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger Mike B said...

JAAE: Point taken on the salad bar, but now I've been told by a local that you can go to the salad bar. Unconfirmed, so I'm going to have to do more research ;) Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy your blog too, and not just for the cool music videos.

Hamish: Surf-and-Turf is in the vicinity, and is also quite good (and pricey). I haven't tried Buffalo, so I guess I will need to force myself to do even more research ;)

3:06 PM, April 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home