Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

我學習中文

Because I wasn't having enough fun with German.

The interesting thing about learning Chinese in Germany is that it is helping me to further focus on improving my German. I empathize with the poor instructor, however, as she also occasionally struggles to find the right German word for something.

I started taking Chinese for fun. One of my interns had expressed interest in learning the language to be better equipped for a later career in China, and I thought "Gee that would be interesting!"

The intern never started, but at least has launched a promising career. Sort of raises a "Who is the master and who is the student" question. Maybe there is some psychological need compete with my former intern, or maybe I just like to learn new things. Who knows.

2 Comments:

Blogger IHY said...

Hi,
well, I happened to read your blog, and I was thrilled to find some Chinese characters here!! As a native Chinese speaker myself, I sometimes wonder if it is hard for non-Chinese speakers to learn this language. I've been learning German for 6 months so far. I have to say that its grammar is driving me crazy. In this case, I think Chinese is easier than German(?) At least Chinese language does not have a hard-to-remember grammar system. What do you think? Anyway, have fun in learning Chinese!! :)

10:09 AM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Mike B said...

Hi, fuzzy-candy,

I learned that most people on this side of the world don't see the chinese characters, so I'm glad someone does (you have no idea how difficult it is to find the character codes if your computer is not set up for it).

It is a start, indeed. From what I can see, the grammar is much simpler than german, but listening for the intonation and remembering which intonation is what is the challenge for me.

Good luck with the German.

5:13 PM, April 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home