Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Monday, May 22, 2006

Things I Wish Were Easier to Find in Germany #003
Guinness Extra Stout

OK, I'd be happy to have free and unfettered access to any of the members of the Guiness family, but short of living over an Irish Pub, it's not so easy to find for consumption at home.

I first started drinking Guinness Extra Stout when I was in the Air Force. I shared an apartment with two other crew dogs ... each of us pulled a week of alert duty, which meant that at any time only two of us were home. It also meant that when one of us was away, our stuff was fair game for use/consumption by the others. So invariably I would come home to a week's worth of my dishes sitting in the sink and no cola or beer to drink. Thus began a continuing relationship with Tab and Guinness (It had to be Extra Stout for maximum effect), both of which were not to the likings of my roomies. As for me, they suit my personality ... dark and bitter, heh heh!

You can find the stuff in Germany ... somewhere on the Guinness web-site there used to be a search engine you could use to find specific vendors, usually one of your local Getraenkmarkte ... it usually looked very lonely next to the thousands of German beers to be had, but it seemed to move rather well. Lately I've found it at Walmart, and it has indeed been moving well. Maybe it will become much more common in Germany.

And on the subject of Guinness, bravo to the engineers who have developed a canned draft that gives you decent head. No substitute for the real thing ... a pint in a pub that is ... but not a bad alternative in strange and foreign lands.

5 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

Never could get into those really dark beers. While living in Berlin I visited the Getraenkemarkte with my suitcase wheelies to pick up our beer for the week. That explains why I gained so much weight while living there. Well that, and all the bread and pasteries!

1:30 PM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger Haddock said...

I'm not a big fan of Guinness, but when I tasted it in Ireland it was fantastic (so I drank lots!). For some unknown reason it tastes a lot better in the emerald isle :)

8:18 PM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger Mike B said...

It's the Liffey water!

8:40 PM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger christina said...

I think we still have a few bottles of Guiness in our basement. No idea where the husband buys it, though.

12:01 PM, May 24, 2006  
Blogger christina said...

Oops - make that Guinness and not Guiness.

12:02 PM, May 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home