Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Meet Your Dinner (Meat)

Our butcher invited us to a party. Well, they actually invited all of Frankfurt and the surrounding area, and quite a few of us showed up for the Open Hof. When the Partnerin saw the flyer they had given me, she said, "You can go see how they raise the animals .... Maybe they will even show you how they are slaughtered."

When I first met the Partnerin, her english was a bit rusty in some sections. She described living on the farm of her Grandmother during the occasional summer break, and once told me she was no stranger to farm life, having even helped "Murder the animals." In one of the rare moments of me correcting her english, I gently suggested that the word "slaughter" might come across better if she were to tell the story to other english speakers in the future. And it seems to have stuck.

They did show us a number of pens full of our future schnitzel and bratwurst. They did not show us any being slaughtered, murdered, etc. I guess if I had really taken the behind the scenes tour, I might have seen some butchering, but we didn't go that far into the Hof (I'm not sure that was really an option).

We did get to see some of these cute guys, which I will probably be eating for lunch in a year or so if I am still here.

We both had a bratwurst on brotchen, although you might be able to see from the photo that plates with Haxe, Mashed Potatoes and Sauerkraut were also on offer.


There was plenty of Beer on hand to wash that down, as you can see from this shot of the locals. We stuck to Coke since we were driving, not that that seemed to stop many others.

They even had the town's band-club on hand to play live music, much of which the Partnerin said was the music her grandmother loved. Some of it was even loved by my grandparents, as the band slipped from Oom-Pah-Pah-whatever to "Que Sera Sera."

3 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

What cute little piggies!!!! We had them on our farm years ago for the children to observe when they toured the farm where the apples grew!

9:40 PM, June 04, 2006  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

Oh no, you mean to tell me I eat those cute little piggies! That's it, I'm never eating ham again. Ok, who am I kidding... I'll totally eat ham again, but I'll feel lousy the whole time I'm doing it.

8:05 AM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger christina said...

Oooh, that's enough to make me turn vegetarian for at least a week. Makes me sort of (but only sort of) queasy to think that the bratwurst I ate for dinner last night may have had a name. :-)

9:55 AM, June 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home