Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Saturday, December 08, 2007

A Funny Thing Happened to Me On the Way to ....

The Partnerin keeps asking what my blog is doing, and I keep telling her I don't know because I've been doing a million other things because of my recent job change.

I was supposed to be unemployed and flying around the world by now, but life has a funny way of throwing curves at you.

I was so burned out from the job that I had just quit that I planned on not working perhaps for the rest of my life. Finding a new job in Germany is not the easiest thing for even the most skilled of Auslanders, even worse when you are a bit older, and worse still when you had the nerve to simply quit your last job without having a new one in hand since it is assumed you are insane.

So then a guy that I occasionally went to lunch with asked me what I was going to do with myself, I said "I'm going to buy an airplane and fly around the world."

Clearly I must be insane, so he asks, "No, seriously, what are you going to do?"

Me in total seriousness: "I'm going to buy a plane and fly around the world."

Him: "How are you going to pay for the gas?"

Me: "I have a few euros in the bank. [Company X] was good to me when I left them a couple years back."

He had been restructured out of Company X during a market downturn a few years before, so he knows I'm not going to starve. He also knows I am a pilot. So, he can't rule out the possibility that I am serious and not insane.

Him: "And what do you do after that?"

Me: "I've got the British visa in place and I'll probably find my way to London to get back into the financial world."

Him: "Well, why didn't you ask me if I had something?"

Me: "I've been out of that world for a few years, so I didn't think you would be interested."

Turns out he was.

So, new job found, and I'm still in Germany. Not the worst place to be ... it seems to grow on a person after nearly a decade.

The photo is just a teaser ... After seeing Mausi's Santa Suit and her Christmas-season cookies and cakes, I thought this blog could use a little spicing up.

5 Comments:

Blogger C N Heidelberg said...

Welcome back to your blog. :)

10:21 AM, December 08, 2007  
Blogger Jason said...

dude, I dont' want to work anymore either! That's why I have been buying lottery tickets lately! hahaha

And next month will be 5 years in Germany and it's definitely grown on me, though I don't always like what has grown on me, like becoming even cheaper than I was before!

10:48 AM, December 08, 2007  
Blogger christina said...

"It's not the worst place to be" sums it up nicely. I think I'll start saying that to myself when I brush my teeth in the morning.

Good to have you back. :-)

11:45 AM, December 08, 2007  
Blogger Maribeth said...

Glad to see you haven't fallen off the face of the earth! I've missed you!

12:51 PM, December 08, 2007  
Blogger Haddock said...

Good to see you are back! :)

8:32 AM, December 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home