Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Monday, August 20, 2007

What's with the Hot Meal Thing


A colleague was headed out to lunch at the same time I was headed to the bank to pick up some cash, and asked if I was going for a real meal ... which was a curious comment. So I asked, "What is a real meal?"

"You always go for sandwiches ... that's not a real meal. You need to have something hot at least once a day."

I asked the Partnerin about this, and although she frequently skips lunch during her hectic day, she echoed the sentiment.

Is this a German thing, or did I miss something in school? (Where I always brown-bagged it, btw.)

7 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Don't worry, it's totally a German thing. No logic to it at all. But they act as if for example something like a roast beef sandwich with a side of potato salad is totally different than having pot roast with mashed potatoes just because of the temperature of the food you're eating. I'll never understand it.

8:04 PM, August 20, 2007  
Blogger Maribeth said...

I don't know. Hubby is like that. Very much a three meal a day man and the evening meal has to be hot.

8:11 PM, August 20, 2007  
Blogger Martina said...

I agree with Christina, it's totally a German thing. Don't tell my mother-in-law, but her son doesn't get a "hot meal" every day, gasp.

7:13 PM, August 21, 2007  
Blogger jen said...

neither does Sparky. He's happy with protein powder and cold cuts. Mutti would be horrified.

8:26 AM, August 22, 2007  
Blogger C N Heidelberg said...

I love hot food much more than cold, so I'm totally with the Germans on this one :) That's just my personal preference. I don't think it would occur to me to comment on anyone else's lunch habits, though!

6:02 PM, August 27, 2007  
Blogger An Investor said...

It's mostly a German thing -- the "hot" meal obsession. It works the other way, too. When I'm ready to have a nice supper, that also happens to be "hot" (waves at Maribeth), I often get, "But, I already had a hot meal for lunch..."

10:06 PM, August 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a German speaking thing, I think. Here in Austria we have similar sentiments. Eat something warm once a day, never drink cold drinks, don't sit in draughts (etc, etc, etc).
Ausländer unite! Eat cold food and drink cold drinks and you will be free!!!!!

8:06 AM, November 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home