Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Monday, May 15, 2006

Quo Vadis, Frankfurt am Main

Did you know that the British Consulate in Frankfurt has been closed? I learned this today in the quest for a translating service that would be acceptable to the local consular office, which I until today thought was here in Frankfurt.

Turns out FfM and Stuttgart have been shuttered, which says something about the direction both of those locations are going in terms of international commerce.

Frankfurt, as you will recall, had pretensions of being "the" financial center of Europe, which was a plausible view given that the UK had kept itself out of the Euro.

I don't know if the Brits outsmarted the Germans or if the Germans snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, but several years later there seems to be no noticable chink in the armor of London as the financial center of Europe, if not the world, while Frankfurt is nothing more than one of the Borses on the Continent.

So I start the visa process, and I guess I better start "correcting" my spellings of things like "Armour" and "Centre".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home