Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Sunday, April 30, 2006

La Vie Royale

We were supposed to be wandering now, but the Partnerin decided to enjoy her croissant and coffee while watching the 60th birthday celebration of the Swedish King. Every time one of these European Royals has a birthday, baptism, wedding, funeral, whatever, she is glued to the TV. And she is not alone. I know plenty of Germans who are fascinated with the European Royals (which includes the UK subset, even though some of you don't consider the UK to be a part of Europe).

I think the Germans miss having their own Royal family. But they still have no shortage of so-called Nobles running around ... the "This von That's." Germans still show a lot of deference to the infinite number of "This von That's" you come across. In fact, most of the German business scene is dominated by "This von That's", probably to its detriment.

But how can an American criticize this while his own country-mates fawn over the likes of the Kennedy's, Bush's, Trump's, etc?

4 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Ooh, is that one right now? I better got turn on the TV. I love any royal family stuff. We don't live in a fancy neighbourhood at all, but our elderly next door neighbour is called Gräfin (Countess) Y. von W.

We've been trying to get out for a hike since Saturday morning however we keep looking up at the sky and saying "Nahhhh!" and then settling ourselves back onto the couch. There's always tomorrow.

3:37 PM, April 30, 2006  
Blogger Haddock said...

The Germans should adopt the British Royal Family as there is a lot of German blood in their lineage. They are called the house of Windsor nowadays but only because of the world wars. They were originally called the house of Hannover :)

5:13 PM, April 30, 2006  
Blogger Clarity25 said...

I don't leave comments very often but My husband and I really enjoy your blog! We were laughing at your entry about doing laundry during certain hours and the neighbors. Also that video spoof on "Every breath you take" had us cracking up! I love your observations on Germany! Hope you're having a good weekend:)

6:19 PM, April 30, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think we had this on here in Canada all this week. It's very intersting... I guess we/Canada still think of Europe when it comes to royalty..

Mike I hope you don't mind me adding you to my links, very intersting site - and thanks Christina for mentioning him...

6:51 PM, May 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home