Link to Profile Semperoper, Dresden Sieg (auf dem Siegesäule), Berlin Brandenburg Tor, Berlin Skyline, Frankfurt am Main

Saturday, March 25, 2006

This was an interesting week ...

I stumbled across five (five!) interesting job opportunities after three weeks of seeing nothing. Two in Germany, two in the UK, and one in the US (not Arkansas!).

One of the German companies responded, but only to tell me that I did not apply properly ... They advertised in English and prompted me to an online tool that, even though I input a German address, only prompted me for barebones information and said nothing more about attaching Zeunisse, etc.). They responded with a curt e-mail in German that I must also attach a Anschreiben, Lebenslauf, Foto, and Zeugnisse before they will further consider me. I find it hard to believe I am the first American to apply to them, but it seems they figure that when in Germany, the applicant must apply like a German (yes, more on that some other time) even if the english-version of their system says nothing of the sort. The other German company wanted the "Full Monty" auf Deutsch via snail-mail, so I don't expect to hear from them for some time.

In the same space of time, the Brits are actually getting down to short-lists and arranging to bring me over for interviews. They haven't seen a foto, and they've only seen an American-style resume (rather than the Brit-style CV they would prefer), but despite those failings they have seen past the form and looked at the substance.

Haven't heard from the American company yet, but the usual response from US companies is that they will gladly talk to me once I am back in the US, so I am not holding my breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home